You finally have your machine… now what?
At Quality DME, Inc., we feel it is important to know exactly how to use your CPAP/BIPAP machine. Following these steps will help you get the best results!
Set up your machine
- Your machine should be on a flat surface at or below head level.
- Always plug the machine directly into the wall – do not use an extension cord.
- Fill your humidifier chamber with distilled water; this will help keep the chamber clean.
- Attach the tubing to the machine and the other end to your mask.
- Apply the mask to your face as instructed by your set up technician.
- Refer to your user manual for specific instructions on adjusting the mask headgear.
- Tip: For the best results, adjust the mask with the machine powered on and pressure flowing.
- Power on the machine as instructed by your set up technician.
- Use the ramp feature to help adjust to your prescribed pressure setting.
- Refer to your user manual for further instructions regarding your machine.
- CPAP/BIPAP therapy takes time to get used to. In the first few days you will likely experience some difficulty with sleep onset and may wake after just a couple of hours.
- The key to effective therapy is consistency – make sure you attempt to sleep with your CPAP/BIPAP every single day.
- It takes most patients 3-4 weeks to adjust to therapy, so stay with it!
Check in with the QDME Journal for new blogs and interesting topics!
Follow Us to learn even more!